Thursday, December 12, 2013

Cherished Daughters



Strands o’ sunshine weaved within her hair
Defiance show in crystal auburn stare
Alabaster satin wrap’d o’er graceful curve
Venus’ blessing with Diana’s nerve
Smile glorious as virgin pearl

Since from her mother born
Her care and life I am sworn
Cradled in this father’s arm
Ne’r will she come to harm
From paternal joy doth my head swirl
No other hath me as my blessed girl

Champion I will be for her eternally
At God’s behest I give mine life for free
Until there may arise a gentle boy
To her shall he commit mirth and joy
By my soul shall he suit her at every pass
And cherish no other as my blessed lass

When grown as woman she and pass to mother be
From nativity a child of grace yet equipotent as she
Upon this aged breast and arms of gentility
Will she lay her red-haired girl so tenderly
To tug upon wizened beard from red to grey has turned
Will this progeny whose hair by glorious sun has burned

*For both my daughters

No comments:

Post a Comment